English and Foreign Languages University
The English and Foreign Languages University, Hyderabad, was founded in 1958 as the Central Institute of English (CIE). The mandate of the University is to advance and disseminate “instructional, research and extension facilities in the teaching of English and foreign languages and literatures in India” as well as “to take appropriate measures for interdisciplinary studies and research in literary and cultural studies, and to develop critical intercultural understanding of civilizations.”
The university has 7 Schools and 26 Departments. 11 foreign languages apart from other humanities courses are taught through various programmes of the University. It offers 10 (3-year) undergraduate, 18 (2-year) postgraduate and 20 Diploma programmes annually. All the Schools offer (5-year) research programmes. The academic programmes service over 4500 students.
Courses offered on our various programmes adopt a variety of teaching styles that are intense and at the same time engaging. Courses are offered as seminars, tutorials, presentations, lectures, or lab-based held in language labs and digital labs.
Objectives of English and Foreign Languages University
- to disseminate and advance knowledge by providing instructional, research, and extension
- facilities in the teaching of English and foreign languages and literature in India;
- to train language teachers in methods and approaches appropriate to the Indian context;
- to provide expertise in language and teacher education to foreign professionals;
- to evolve indigenous ways of testing language proficiency;
- to make provisions for innovative teaching-learning materials in both print and electronic media;
- to take appropriate measures for inter-disciplinary studies and research in literary and cultural studies; and
- to develop critical intercultural understanding of the civilizations.
Schools of Study in English and Foreign Languages University
Hyderabad - 500 007
Phone: +91 40 27689000